If you have an emergency telephone 9-1-1
For Poison Control, telephone toll free 1-800-222-1222
Dial 211 for Community Services, Health and Disaster Information
Just like 911 is the designated number for emergencies, 211 is the designated number for community, health, and disaster information. It is a 24-hour service and includes information and referrals to housing, food, drug and alcohol abuse prevention and treatment, health facilities, counseling, mental health services, financial assistance, legal assistance, child care, child abuse services, recreation, and disaster relief.
Counties With 211 Service
|Contra Costa||Mendocino||Sacramento||Santa Clara|
|Los Angeles||Orange||San Luis Obispo||Tulare|
- Alcohol and Drug Dependence Hope Line: 1-800-NCA-CALL (622-2255). National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence, Inc. (NCADD) operates this toll-free Hope Line 800-NCA-CALL for information and referral.
- Boys Town National Hotline: 1-800-448-3000. Crisis, resource, and referral line for teens and parents. Open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Child Abuse Hotline (National): 1-800-4-A-CHILD (422-4453). The hotline is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with professional crisis counselors who, through interpreters, can provide assistance in 170 languages. The hotline offers crisis intervention, information, literature, and referrals to thousands of emergency, social service, and support resources.
- Cocaine National Hotline: 1-800-COCAINE (262-2463). The hotline is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and is staffed with trained professionals who help find assistance or just provide support.
- Domestic Violence Hotline (National): 1-800-799-SAFE (7233), TTY: 1-800-787-3224. Free, confidential, 24 hours.
- Hopeline (National): 1-800-442-HOPE (4673). Responds to youth dealing with pregnancy, molestation, suicide, and child abuse. Operates 24 hours, seven days a week.
- NAMI Helpline National Alliance for the Mentally Ill: 1-800-950-NAMI (6264)
- National Center for Missing & Exploited Children: 1-800-THE-LOST (1-800-843-5678)
- Poison Control Center: 1-800-222-1222. This toll-free number will put you in touch with the poison control center in your area.
- National Runaway Switchboard: 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929). Provides crisis intervention and travel assistance to runaways. Gives referrals to shelters nationwide. Also relays messages to, or sets up conference calls with, parents at the request of the child.
- Rape and Sexual Assault Hotline (National): 1-800-656-HOPE (1-800-656-4673)
- SAFE (Self-Abuse Finally Ends): 1- 800-DON’T-CUT (1-800-366-8288)
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline (National): 1-800-273-Talk (8255), TTY: 1-800-799-4TTY (1-800-799 4889). If you are experiencing an emotional crisis, family crisis, or are having suicidal thoughts, talking to someone may help. Trained counselors are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Don’t wait. Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) now! The Suicide Prevention Lifeline has partnered with Facebook to provide live, confidential chat with a counselor 24/7 on Facebook. You can also send an alert using the Facebook reporting tool if you see a friend exhibiting online suicidal behavior. See the Facebook page for Suicide Prevention Lifeline.
- Teen Dating Abuse Hotline (Love is Respect): 1-866-331-9474, TTY: 1-866-331-8453. Provides resources for teens, parents, friends and family regarding teen dating abuse. Site sponsors the National Teen Datring Abuse Hotline and includes many resources.